Evaluator for Increasing Access to Quality Childcare in BC project
Application Deadline: open until filled
Expected Start Date: ASAP
End Date: March 31, 2024
1. Justice Education Society
The Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES) is a non-profit organization with more than 30 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. Our mission: We empower people to access and deliver justice in Canada and globally.
In Canada, JES helps more than 700,000 British Columbians learn about our justice system and address their legal issues. Internationally, JES has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana, working with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, improve citizen security and increase access to justice. JES has offices in Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and diverse sources of funding including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
2. The Project
Increasing Access to Quality Childcare in B.C
This 30-month project will support a feminist response and recovery from the current impacts of COVID-19, through systemic change. The Justice Education Society of BC will achieve this by improving working conditions for childcare workers, increasing access to licensed childcare, providing education on employment rights and business operations, and increasing stakeholder collaboration and peer mentorship. At the end of the project, the organization will have contributed to addressing systemic barriers by advancing inclusive policies and practices, increasing networks and collaboration to accelerate systemic change, and supporting positive distribution of authority, voices, and decision-making power.
Through legal education sessions, we strive to increase the legal capability of BC childcare centres. By empowering ECE educators with skills and knowledge they will be better equipped to deal with workplace legal issues. This project aims to improve the working conditions of Early Childhood Educators through education on employment rights and human rights. It also aims to empower ECEs to make career choices through education on licensing and centre regulations, and government funding opportunities.
The project began in October 2021 and will run until March 31, 2024. In the first phase of the project JES conducted a needs assessment to determine the needs of ECEs and ECE employers. JES is in phase 2 of the project where we are developing materials for workshops, webinars and conferences. In the final phase 3 we will be conducting these workshops.
3. Project Evaluation Deliverables
The objectives and key deliverables of the evaluation consultancy are:
- To conduct a process evaluation of the Project throughout the life cycle of the project
- To assess whether project activities have been developed and implemented as intended and that they achieved project objectives
- To develop a plan and timeline for evaluation considering the needs assessment, project objectives and work underway by December 30, 2022
- To meet with the JES team to review progress and project implementation on a regular basis (every few months or as otherwise agreed upon) and provide recommendations to strengthen project activities
- To support development of evaluation and participant feedback of 6 workshops and a pilot mentorship program
- To create an Evaluation Report by March 31, 2024
The selected consultant must have at minimum the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Master’s Degree in a related field and 3+ years of recent related experience in project monitoring and evaluation or program analysis or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience conducting program/project evaluations for the justice and/or education sectors
- Knowledge of best practices related to project evaluation and working with M&E tools
- Excellent skills in critical thinking and analysis, meeting facilitation, verbal and written communications, and interpersonal interactions
- Proven experinece in evaluation design, research methods, and statistical analysis
5. Terms of Payment
A schedule of payments will be agreed upon with the consultant, based on the performance of deliverables.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and CV with subject line “Evaluator” to email@example.com, as soon as possible.