Public Legal Educator
Status: Part-time temporary employment (9 hours per week for 10 months) October-June 2023
Application deadline: Rolling basis – Open until filled
ABOUT THE JUSTICE EDUCATION SOCIETY (JES)
Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES) is a Canadian non-profit organization with over 30 years of experience in advancing the rule of law by empowering people to access and deliver justice through increasing legal capability, strengthening justice systems and developing digital solutions. JES has programs and offices in Canada, Guyana, Guatemala, Honduras and Panama, and also works in Costa Rica, Colombia and El Salvador. JES has diverse sources of funding including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
The Public Legal Educator will be part of our Justice System Education Program and will provide legal education to students and community groups. They will help increase the legal capability and deepen their understanding of our justice system of participants through facilitating educational sessions, coordinating court visits and interactions with justice professionals.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Facilitating digital and engaging legal education sessions for students and community groups.
- Coordinate and organize group court visits to unstaffed locations across BC with the use of volunteers
- Outreach to promote virtual online education sessions across BC
- Promoting JES educational resources to teachers, youth, community groups etc.
- Monitoring participation and youth engagement in the program
- Reporting and provide feedback for team learning
- College or University degree in Education, law, legal studies or similar
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Two years’ experience in education
- Experience working and engaging with youth
- Excellent interactive public speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct engaging webinars
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong time management skills and professionalism
- Ability to coordinate groups, speakers and manage logistics
- Strong reporting and tracking skills
- Ability to work within a digital environment, MS-Office, online booking systems, g-suite, zoom.
- Familiarity with the BC justice system and the BC curriculum is an asset
- Experience develop lesson plans is an asset
- Passion for educating youth
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please send your cover letter, and resume to: Jobs@JusticeEducation.ca. Please indicate “Educator Virtual” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.